Article by Angelina Shah
When it comes to photography, there are many aspects that contribute to getting good photographs. It is a fine, balanced mélange of technical proficiency as well as one’s creative vision. While there are some who are gifted naturally with an artistic and unique eye, for the most of us it is years of experience that helps us find that creativity.
Image courtesy: http://bit.ly/1n2jJYs
Here are a few tips that can help in finding your creative vision:
1. Exploring arts and films: It always helps to watch films, old and new. Watching foreign films helps further one’s knowledge of cultures, not to mention see things from a completely foreign, alien perspective. The same holds true for art. It is incredible, how these works can inspire us when we least expect it.
Image Courtesy: http://bit.ly/1iSqHSH
2. Be unique: While it is easy to get influenced by the works of a famous photographer or artist, do not let this style mask that of your own. Each person has his own unique vision, and while it can help to emulate someone to better one’s technique, it can also douse one’s own abilities.
3. Experiment: It is easy to get comfortable with a certain style or even the technique of shooting. However, as a photographer it is important to always be trying new things. Get out of your comfort zone. If you are primarily an outdoor photographer, try doing an indoor shoot, or vice versa. While you might not get a great shot, you have gained that much more experience. And that experience might help you in a future shoot.
4. Be open to new ways of seeing: As a photographer, it is vital to constantly evolve. One cannot be stuck and comfortable with one style. Photography is a form of art, and art is ever changing with the changing times. There will always be something new to learn.
5. Read: Reading is underrated in every field. It is essential to read up on techniques old and new. You never know when and old technique will aid you in creating something completely different.
Image Courtesy: http://bit.ly/1ecxbJU
6. Observe: In the technologically advanced world that we live in, it is easy to get lost in gadgets and devices. However, observation is key. For instance, while commuting daily, it is interesting what one can learn to observe. And this can only help when one is shooting. The sun falling in through the window, backlighting someone’s hair, not to mention observing people’s mannerisms.
Image Courtesy: http://bit.ly/LvnjPs